Saturday, July 21, 2007

Day 53 – In a Real House At Last!!

The day was filled with excitement because I would be sleeping in a real bed tonight. This may seem trivial to most but after 53 days of sleeping on an air mattress this is anything but a small thing to look forward to. We needed this motivation today to get all the way there. The sky was slightly cloudy and the forecast called for rain so I figured that it was only a matter of time before the sky opened up and unleashed it fury upon us.

We enjoyed the countryside that was now even greener with the recent precipitation. The forest seemed to be in its summer velvet just like the deer that live among them.

We followed the back roads that paralleled I-5 giving us the most direct route north. Still dry!

We came across this very funny barn in the middle of some guy’s field. I am not sure if it was a joke or if he really found a cure for it. It sure would be nice but is probably too good to be true! Just kidding all!

As we took the picture a dog scared me as he came running up to us. He was a nice dog and the pepper spray stayed nicely in its pouch. As we took off the dog really wanted to run and followed us for about 1/4 of a mile. I hope he made it back home safely! Still dry!!

This small house stood on the side of the road and was not only a residence for a Jackson family but it served as a court house, stop for western frontier travelers, and now a historical site. We ate a quick snack at a gas station and quickly got back on the road. Still Dry!!!
The roads that we took leading up to lunch were wonderful, quaint and great for riding but Logan Mill Rd. gave us a bit of a challenge. It had some pretty aggressive rollers and one very nice downhill that I was very thankful was not an uphill! We rounded a corner, came through a stop sign and then waamm there it was in front of us. From a distance we could see that his hill went up and then the top seemed to go much steeper than the rest but we had no idea.

As I began to climb the hill my legs felt good and was able to stay in a decent gear and maintain a good speed but then I came to the final part of the hill and I stood up to attack it and fell off backwards because it was so steep. I looked to the side of the road and there was a towrope like those on the bunny hill at a ski area and a red button to push to get to the top with a little sign that read, “Bikers push here”. When I woke up from my wishful daydream, except for the falling part, my heart was pounding out of my chest and I was not even near to the top. My speed was falling faster than an anchor of a large ship in the harbor and I was already standing on my pedlas. I finally got to the top with an opinion that this little hill had the steepest grade that we have faced on the trip. It was by no means long but it was steep and if it were much longer I may have needed to walk my bike to the top. Still dry!!!!

Centralia, WA came and along with it lunch. The news of the few miles left to go to Lacey, WA overshadowed the news that they didn’t serve lunch at that shop.

We did find a fine café where we ate and enjoyed looking at antiques for a moment. We hit the road with a bit more urgency than before because once we stepped outside we could see the storm clouds coming and hoped that we could make the 20 miles home and still stay dry.

Tenino, WA came quickly and according to the map Lacey, WA should have been right around the corner. Not so! Before we made our second turn (out of 6 to be made) the clouds, who had been holding back just for us, opened and soaked us within moments. It would have been nice had we been hot before but the day was already a little chilly and this added a little discomfort on the temperature side. The main roads did come that I remembered from when I was here last summer, and we pulled into Aunt Jolene’s house looking more like drowned rats on wheels than any human life form. It did feel nice to be there and get dry again.
The evening was filled with catching up, playing with the dogs, going on a walk (I needed the exercise), and watching a movie. It was nice to be in a home! Houses are one thing but Jolene has such a nice inviting and warm home for us to stay for the next week!
Tomorrow will be a day of excitement and bittersweet feeling. I am not quite sure how I am going to feel when it is all done. I will have to wait and see.

No comments: