Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Day 42 – The LORD’s Day! A Moving Day!


There have been few things that have moved my emotions and have stuck like I was moved today. I was a sophmore in college and visited the Holocaust Museum in Washington D.C. and have been affected ever since, I met my wife 9 years ago this August and have not been the same ever since, and this afternoon we visited the site where the Battle of the Big Hole was fought. The movie at the museum, the story that was told in the self guided tour pamphlet, and the pictures that I saw moved me greatly.
The Battle of the Big Hole was fought just west of the city of Wisdom, MT in the Big Hole Valley. The US Army had been chasing the Nez Perse Indians for months and caught up to them. They sneaked up to their camp at night and in the morning attacked leaving women, children, and some men dead in their beds. The Indians rallied and fought the army back and pinned them down long enough to allow the remaining women and children to flee. In the end, the army was held for an entire day by two Indian snippers until they took off to follow their people.

This dark event in American history, still speaks with 50 remaining tipi frames and monuments commemorating bravery and courage. It was a moving, restful, and relaxing day!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Misszula?

Carrie said...

Oops. I put this comment on the wrong day, but I see that someone else got it first anyway.