Friday, June 29, 2007

Day 31 – A Short and Enjoyable Day!

When looking at the map for today’s ride we, realized that the maps were sending us on a route that was 15 miles longer than another route on the map. The map makers tried very hard to route us on roads that have light traffic and good surfaces so it didn’t make a total lack of sense. We chose the shorter way. This way also had less climbing. All around it was a day to look forward to!!

We began on a very heavily traveled road and more than a few times I was nervous about how close a vehicle was to me. One in particular, there was a semi coming from behind and traffic coming from in front and with a very narrow road it didn’t leave much room or respect for the little biker on the side of the road. I literally could have reached out and touch the trailer as it passed. After the junction of another state highway the traffic did slow down a bit. We wound around the mountains till we came to the climb that would take us over the continental divide for the second time. At only 8772 feet, the Muddy Pass was barely a hill compared to the Hosier Pass but it was still a nice climb!

At the top there was a nice couple riding a very rare. In 1955, the Indian Motorcycle Company made their last motorcycles. Then in 1999 they decided to make a select number. It only lasted for about three years and now they no longer make any. Gus and Eunice purchased #394 of the 1,100 made in 1999.

We talked for a little while and then as I examined the bike I noticed a bell on his front wheel.

I was quite curious so I asked him. He informed me that there is a little superstition among motorcyclists about a mythical beasts called “gremlins”. They are said to attach themselves to the motorcycle and when they go over bumps in the road parts of the motorcycle fall off. He told me that each time the bell rings the “gremlins” fall off so that the bike stays in tact. For a moment I thought about getting one for my bike. Then I realized that with my luck the bell would get stuck in my front wheel and I would for the second time go face first into the pavement. My teeth probably would not stay in with another hit like the first so I will just have the trust that the “gremlins” are truly mythological and that they will not bother me!
We quickly descended down a hill where the girls were waiting for us for lunch and enjoyed lunch with them. It was much better than a restaurant. The people we ate with didn’t stare at us like we were freaks. They already know that we are!!
As we came out from lunch, the LORD gave us His wonderful creation to enjoy! We saw 2 elk and 1 deer running out of the brush and up into the hill. It was majestic to watch these huge animals doing what God has programmed them to do! RUN FOR THEIR LIVES!!!

We continued our day with a nice tail wind going through no towns. This was a day that we had a leaving city and then a arriving city and NOTHING in between!! That is why the girls decided to meet us for lunch. Besides the fact that they are the nicest girls you will ever meet. We spent most of the afternoon watching a storm in front of us (someone told us it was 65 miles to our north even though it looked to be threatening us) and watching another storm behind us that seemed to be chasing us to our destination. The afternoon dark clouds are typical for the area and will only sometimes produce rain. We stayed dry!

We enjoyed nice roads and nice climbs until the final 6 miles of the trip. We had just come off a nice climb and were coming down the hill when we began to experience bone jarring gaps in the pavement. They were about 15 ft apart and you could barely replace yourself back on your seat when another one would assault you. It was a painful experience and when the city finally came into view on the horizon I felt excitement that the pain was almost over.

We pulled into Walden, CO at about 2:30. Because of the early arrival today and the long days that we have planned for tomorrow and the next we decided to get some of the miles for tomorrow out of the way! The LORD had something awesome in store for us!
We took off and asked the girls to leave to pick us up in an hour and wherever we were they would pick us up and the day would be done. We fought the headwind for about 13 miles and then came to a hill then went down in the valley. The way down was not much fun since when we came out of the rocks we got slammed in the face with a strong cross wind. It made it hard to go straight when going 35 mph. We came to the bottom and stood in wonder of the North Platte River. I was in the middle of a comment to my Dad about the wind when I looked down and on the bank of the river I saw a bald eagle!! It was phenomenal. I hope the pictures come out so that you can enjoy it too!


The evening was very relaxing looking at scenery and trying to see moose and other wildlife. We did not see the large animals but we did see two foxes, one mule deer, and a few antelopes! The highlight of the evening for me was when we got back to the trailer I was able to watch Sportscenter for the first time since we left Michigan. It was nice to get caught up on what is going on in the world of sports. The LORD gives little blessings to little people like me! Thank you LORD!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Keep it up! You guys are doing great! Such beautiful scenery!